Pages

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies



When I make cookies, I make regular chocolate chip cookies for David. He prefers chewy cookies with dark chocolate chips. Every now and then though, I want to bake something that I prefer (although, it's probably best that I don't make anything that I like because I just eat it all....in one sitting. Don't judge.)

Anyway...I worked at the Great Harvest Bread Co. during high school (best job ever!) This time frame is when I discovered my love of baking, and of food in general. I also developed a love for their oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. You know, those giant cookies the size of a salad plate? If you do not know these cookies, you should google  your nearest Great Harvest and try them! While you are there, try the cinnamon swirl bread, the cheddar garlic bread, the asiago pesto bread....mmmmm bread sounds really good right now.

Let's keep this story moving....I have been searching for a good, chewy oatmeal cookie that pairs well with chocolate. During my search I have found ones that turn out too crispy, too fluffy, too cakey but I have yet to find the right cookie for me. Until.....wait for it.....I looked on the lid of the Quaker Oats tube!!! Seriously! Right in front of my every time I open one of these tubes to measure out for another recipe, there was the recipe I needed to try.

Just chewy enough oatmeal chocolate chip cookies:

1/2 cup butter plus 6 tablespoons butter, softened
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups Quaker Oats, uncooked
2 cups dark chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Beat butter and sugars until creamy
Add eggs and vanilla
Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt
Add oats and chocolate chips, mix well.
Drop rounded tablespoons on un-greased cookie sheet.
Bake 8-10 minutes (I baked mine for 9 and they were perfect!)
Cool for one minute on pan and remove to cool on wire rack.

Because I do not need four dozen cookies sitting around my house, I packed up two to-go packs one for my dad and one for my father-in-law.

Enjoy!!
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment