Pages

Friday, November 16, 2012

Burlap Art


Don't you love it?!  The walls in our half bath were pretty empty and it's always bothered me.


Hobby Lobby had a set of two of these canvases for around seven dollars.  I didn't really have a plan when I bought them but figured one out pretty quick.


I had some burlap already because I stocked up before it was officially fall season when it would be hard to find.  I am a huge fan of this method to cut burlap when you need a straight line.  Measure to where you want it cut, snip it about an inch,


pull one of the threads in that snip and start pulling.  You will be able to pull that one thread all the way out


leaving you a line as a guide so you can cut with scissors and be sure its straight.


I cut my burlap a little bigger than the canvases.
 

I laid out four pieces of contact paper leaving a small line open where I wanted to paint the wire.  I used fabric paint for this but because the paint doesn't need to be flexible when dry I probably could have used anything.


Here it is with the wire done.


I found a bird online that I liked and printed and traced it onto paper.  I used a sharpie to trace around my stencil.


I wanted them slightly different so I just made the second bird a little shorter and fluffier when tracing and also changed the tail feathers slightly.


Painted inside the sharpie lines and let it dry.



I knew I wanted the words in the upper corner and was worried that they wouldn't be straight or positioned wrong so I went ahead and stapled the burlap to the canvases before painting the words on.


I used my silhouette to cut out the words on the contact paper.


I went back over the words with the black sharpie to touch up areas that were to light.


One more look at the finished project.



 Jeannie

No comments:

Post a Comment