Pages

Friday, November 2, 2012

No Sew Curtains

Confession: I do not know how to sew.

I have a sewing machine my sister in-law gave me but I've never used it. I just don't even know where to start (but I am hoping Jeannie will give me a quick lesson at Thanksgiving). I mean, I know how to sew on a button or I have fixed B's uniform a time or two but nothing fancy.

Our new house is white. Very white. Basic military housing which is fine because we really like it but it needs color. You can paint but you have to paint it back and that's a pain. I bought a set of tie up curtains from Target for our window above the sink to add some color to the white walls, white cabinets, white counter tops, white appliances and white floors but they weren't wide enough. So yesterday as I was buying curtain rods for our bedroom and guest bedroom, I saw a curtain panel on clearance that matches my kitchen rug. $9.99. Lets give it a shot. I can try and make it work, right?

During nap, I decided attempt this. I already had a curtain rod hung up so I put up the long panel to see where I needed to cut. I made my mark and took down the curtain to begin cutting. I used the fold creases as a guide and cut the bottom then cut directly in the middle.


On the curtain rod above the sink for measuremeants

Cutting at the creases

Now, this is where the sewing comes in. Normally a person would sew the edges but given that nap time is not a long enough time to teach myself how to work a sewing machine, I decided to use hot glue. HOT GLUE you ask? Yes, hot glue. And let me say, it turned out pretty good.





I laid the panels on the floor in our playroom and just started to glue (side note: make sure not to glue the pocket where the curtain rod goes through like I did...I had to go back and cut it open). I started with the sides then did the bottom. As I was pressing the fabric down, I smoothed out the glue so it didn't dry as a hard strip of glue as hot glue usually does.



And there ya go, super easy. Inexpensive and fast. With two toddlers, that's what I am all about. I am sure Martha Stewart would probably shake her head at me but hey, it worked and looks good!


- Sabrina

No comments:

Post a Comment