Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

"Kryptonite" Rice Krispies


The story behind the name of these addictive little treats:
I learned to make these rice krispie treats from my husband's grandmother. (turns out it is a Nestle recipe, but I still give Granny the credit) I started making them for most get togethers, including the ones with my side of the family.

My sisters had the same reaction to these ridiculously good rice krispies that I did when I first had them and now they are demanded at family get togethers.

Now, the real reason I call them "kryptonite" is that even my sister, Kristy (you know the one that eats perfectly, works out daily), will cave and eat too many of these. I will refer to them as "Kristy's Kryptonite" forever now, and she agreed with me when I sent her a picture of making them.

Last time I made these for two of my three sisters was this summer for the cabin trip over the fourth of July. They were both visiting with their families and we went to my parent's cabin. I made a 1.5 batch of the recipe below (a 15x10 pan). Before the end of the second day, Jeannie was hiding the rest of them from everyone else so she didn't have to share! (We think Jeannie has a hoarding food problem, but that's another day another post...)

If you'd like to make these, it's super simple!!

Here's what you'll need:

1 cup light Karo Syrup
1 cup white sugar
1 cup smooth peanut butter (I normally make this a slightly heaping cup)
6 cups rice krispie cereal
1 1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
1 1/4 cup butterscotch chips

Here's how you make 'em:

Grease a 13x9" pan and set aside.
Put sugar and karo syrup on medium heat and cook until bubbling.


Remove sugar mix from heat when bubbling like the picture, and add the peanut butter. Stir this until mixed, and add the rice krispie cereal. Mix cereal in until well combined. Carefully pour this mix into the greased 13x9 pan and press out. (You may want to spray a little cooking spray on your fingers before doing this part, it will help keep the mixture from sticking to your hands) If you do not want to use your hands for this, just use a spatula to spread the mixture out in the pan.


Then is a microwaveable bowl, heat the chips until melted, careful not to burn the chocolate. (I would heat for one minute, then stir. If needed microwave for 30 seconds at a time and stir in between until melted. Due to the kitchen remodel that started last year, I do not have a microwave. So, I use a double boiler method to melt my chips. And yes, I know it is crazy to not own a microwave in 2012...)


Spread the chocolate mixture over the top of the rice krispies and allow to set. WARNING: The chocolate will take some time to set up, especially if it's warm in your house. You can toss these in the fridge or freezer for a bit to set the chocolate but it's best if you don't leave them in there too long or they will become rock hard.


Cut them up and Enjoy!!

What is your "go to" dessert? Am I the only person who has dessert recipes memorized?

-Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment