Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Motherhood made me get fit.

If you would have told me 10 years ago that my life would center around motherhood and fitness I would never have believed you.  I was working full time (as a teacher which is exhausting), happily married, and settling into a new home.  On the other hand I never worked out, ate TERRIBLY (think Burger King and Taco Bell all the time), and felt horrible about myself.  I had slowly gained 30 pounds without even concerning myself with it.




Fast forward 3 years and we decided we were "grown up" enough to have a baby (whatever that means).  I had an uneventful pregnancy, but definitely used it as an excuse to eat for 2!  I had a wonderful and easy delivery that resulted in my first daughter.  Ahhh, it was awesome!


However, to my surprise I didn't leave the hospital in my pre-pregnancy jeans!!!  Anyone else been surprised by that?  I mean, I gave birth to a 8lb 13oz baby, plus all the other fun post-delivery stuff.  Surely that should have gotten rid of the extra weight.  Ugh, oh well.  I quickly became consumed with taking care of this little person that totally turned our lives upside down.  I just ignored that it was still bothering me.

                                             (at Jeannie's wedding- 3 months post-partum)

When my daughter was about 9 months old I finally hit the wall.  Don't get me wrong, I had plenty of crazy 'calling-my-husband-phone-calls-because-I-didn't-know-what-I-was-doing-or-who-I-was times', poor guy.  I finally decided that it was really bothering me that I wasn't wearing anything except pajamas and sweat pants.  It bothered me that I felt only like a mom, nothing else.  I certainly didn't feel attractive and that definitely affected my relationship with my amazing hubby.  Mostly what bothered me was that I also had this gorgeous, perfect little girl that I became acutely aware would be following in my footsteps.  I couldn't do this anymore.  I did not want my daughter to inherit any body/weight issues I hadn't resolved.

(That's me on the left.  This is the picture that changed everything)
   

I decided one day, right around when the picture above was taken, that was it....I asked my husband if we could buy a treadmill.  He, of course, knew better than to say no.  I am sure I hadn't been that pleasant to be around.     
I bought a treadmill and signed up for a half marathon 6 months from that date.  That seriously was the turning point!  I woke up early 6 days a week before my daughter woke up and I followed a Hal Higdon training program!  6 months later we flew back to Phoenix (we had moved to AK) and I arrived 50 pounds less than I started my pregnancy.  I felt amazing and knew I would never go back.  I finished that race and have since gone on to run several more and even became a certified group fitness instructor and purchased a Stroller Strides franchise.  That will need a post to itself! 

Am I perfect?  Heck no!  I have bad days where I just want need Amanda's Kryptonite rice krispies.  I am, however, trying to take care of myself every day.  Not just for my health, but to model to my girls that when they are moms they have to take care of themselves too.

                                                                    (post race party)
  (50 lbs lighter than when I started)
                                                    
I can absolutely say that motherhood has made me re-evaluate everything and try to become a better person every day.  I have my daughters to thank for the new path that my life has taken.  I love that every day I make strides in my own fitness and get to help other moms make strides in theirs.

In Stride,
Kristy   

No comments:

Post a Comment