Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Signs that summer is coming in Alaska!


It is officially. May is here and there is still snow on the ground... I guess it was to be expected after the record setting snowfall this year. (We got over 11 feet of snow this winter, beating the old record from the winter of 1954/55!)

Anyway, while cleaning off my porch I was wondering to myself what it would be like to really have "April showers bring May flowers" like the common Spring time saying.

I stopped and took a look around at all the brown leaves covering the ground and the bare naked trees starting to bud and found some fun stuff starting to pop up around here. Because our winters are so long, we get really excited about the slightest signs of summer coming. Other than the excitement of a few blades of green grass. I have my blue poppies coming back!


See those green things poking through...that is a sure sign for us in Alaska that summer is coming! I saw ferns coming up through more brown leaves by my front door.


And my favorite sight of the day is the rhubarb coming up through the snow!


While the rest of the world is enjoying warmer weather and spring flowers, I just thought I would give you a glimpse of what we in Alaska look forward to as "signs of summer". :)

No comments:

Post a Comment